Tuesday, December 30, 2008

impossible for me

I've been reflecting on things that I wrote about in Gee-oh-dee along with the impact of life right now.
It's hit me with more weight than ever about what it takes to effect real change. What Christ did is the only thing that could be done. Had he done anything of himself, anything that could be attributed to some certain skill, some talent, some brilliance, then all He set into place would have been nearly nothing compared to what it is. His perfect sacrifice, His sinless life, is the only thing that actually made room for all of us to come to God.
I see in my life that where I compromise I have no defense against judgement, whether from man or God.
Had Christ ever, even once, struck back at his accusers, His message of love would have been forever tainted. [Hate and evil can never be defeated by anything less than pure love, self-less, self-sacrificing love. There is no room for me to cuss someone out in order to stand my ground. I can't punch sense into anyone, all I can really do is take a punch to prove what I say. There's no room for me to be "hard" in order to get my respect in the hiphop community when I call myself a Christian. I think it's kinda weak to keep touting your gangbanger past in order to reach a few outside the Christian scene. Jesus didn't have to be "hard"].
One slip ANYWHERE and His, mine, your accusers have us indebted forever, it can't be undone.
This isn't to say there is no freedom, no grace, no room for mistakes. It just elevates the importance of what He did. It's because He did it, and did it for us that He can give us the grace we need because we can't live up to that kind of standard!
I know this discussion doesn't help the person that doesn't understand why God has such a standard in the first place, but that's for another time, I have a small window for my writing attention span.

I guess in all this what I get is an awe for what a thing Jesus accomplished, producing gratitude in me. It also reminds me of what kind of picture a sloppy life paints. God grant me the grace to come to Him in my strength and weakness.

2 comments:

TeVeT said...

Who are you quoting that references the hip hop community?

"This isn't to say there is no freedom, no grace, no room for mistakes. It just elevates the importance of what He did. It's because He did it, and did it for us that He can give us the grace we need because we can't live up to that kind of standard!"
A great way to translate Hebrews 4:15, 16
Sometimes it has been a fearful thing when my mind is opened up to the magnitude of His sacrifice for me. Other times is such a joyous high to realize the Gift that He gave for me.


Another great entry. Thanks for putting down.

Atticus said...

I can't think of any one guy or group, I just remember generally how I've heard some christian rappers, hip hop guys, that seem to glorify their rough past rather than focus on where they're at.
It seems like I heard some of that from Pettidee, maybe T-Bone. I still appreciate those guys, but once in awhile it seems a little out of proportion to me. I think Cross Movement might have even mentioned something about that kind of thing in one of their songs.